GRINDERS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
jusblaze09
Rauloe
pops21kid
KidIcarus27
getonmylevelho
splff3000
ehicks009
Joker12
stoptherun
dclark44
jhawk886
NY_Eer
urbanslegend05
17 posters

Rivals 2011 Dynasty

jhawk886
    jhawk886

Rivals 2011 Dynasty - Page 3 Empty Re: Rivals 2011 Dynasty

Post by jhawk886 Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 pm

In their annual rivalry game, the Fighting Irish from Notre Dame defeat the Michigan Wolverines 29-28 in an overtime thriller.

The home field advantage paid off big for the Wolverines to start the game as the Irish were unable to sustain their drives long enough to put any points on the board. Redshirt freshman Kellen Merrill had a rough start, "It was tough. They've got a good defense and are very fast. You know, the atmosphere was intense. We practiced with noisemakers and loud yelling over the speakers all week, but you really don't know what it's like 'til you get here; it just can't be simulated." Merrill finished the game 18-40 for 304 yards, one touchdown, and two picks.

While the Irish couldn't find the end zone on the offensive side of the ball, the Wolverines weren't taking advantage of their opportunities early either, as the first quarter ended scoreless. The Irish were the first team to score, with Merrill finding senior wide receiver Chuck Gaither on an 11-yard pass. "They were blitzing me hard. I had almost no time, every play. I read the defense and saw that no one was on Chuck. The only one out there was the outside linebacker and he was showing blitz. When he blitzed, it left the safety to cover Chuck who was 15 yards back. I just threw up it there and let Chuck make the catch. It was a little bit high, but I didn't want the safety to be able to make a play on the ball. It was just a great play by Chuck."

The Irish had finally gotten something going, but Michigan would strike right back. On the very next play, quarterback Denard Robinson found his wide open running back Vincent Smith, who had been split out in the slot. Robinson, seeing an under smoke blitz from the Irish, found Smith right over the middle, and from there no one was going to catch him. 81 yards later and the score was right back where it was 15 seconds earlier; tied.

Notre Dame would drive back down the field, but would be unable to punch it in from inside the 10, and would be forced to settle for a Turk 25-yard field goal. The Wolverines, with almost 3 minutes left before halftime, were determined to take the lead. Driving down the field with a playbook made famous by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Robinson lead his team to get a 4-point lead, as he took an option in himself from 10 yards out.

The Irish defense knew they had to play well in the second half if they wanted to emerge victorious, and they did just that. They held the Wolverines to a three-and-out to start the second half, but the offense couldn't get anything going either. Later on in the third quarter, the Irish would again get inside the Michigan 20, but were unable to capitalize, settling for another field goal.

Starting the fourth quarter trailing the Wolverines 13-14, the Irish knew they needed another big defensive stop to give their offense the chance to take the lead. After forcing a Robinson out of the game with a torn pectoral (out 3 weeks), the Irish defense was able to get more pressure on the less agile backup quarterback Gardner and forced him into a bad throw. That was all the Irish needed as redshirt freshman linebacker LaRon McGill came up with a big interception. With a short field, starting inside the Michigan 40, the Irish would drive down and this time punch it in on a 5-yard run from back up running back Cameron Roberson. The Irish, needed the two-point conversion to increase their lead to 7, gave the ball to redshirt freshman running back Marcus Williams, who got the 3 yards he needed.

Trailing by 7, with over 5 minutes left, there was plenty of time for the Wolverines to mount tie the game up. They would do just that, as they drove the length of the field (90 yards) and tied up the game on a 1 yard run from full back Taylor Murphy.

The Irish, getting the ball back with just over 3 minutes left, had to be careful to move the ball downfield, and try to get in scoring range, but not leave enough time left for the Wolverines to mount a drive of their own, regardless of what happened. After getting to the Michigan 46, the Irish drive stalled and coach J. Hawk decided it was best to punt the ball and play for overtime, than risk giving the Wolverines the ball back on a 4th and long. Coach D. Hova decided it was best to play for overtime as well, as he ran two draw plays to finish out the 4th quarter.

Winning the toss in overtime is generally regarded as much more important than the game opening toss, and boy did that prove correct on this night. The Irish won the toss and chose to play defense first. After a big 1st down stop, the Irish were feeling confident that they could hold the Wolverines to just a field goal. Gardner had other ideas however as he would take an option keeper 25 yards to put the Wolverines up by 7.

With the game on the line, rather than pass the ball as they had been all day, the Irish elected to pound the ball, giving it to their redshirt freshman and #1 rated running back from the 2011 class, Marcus Williams. Williams would prove to be a force, consistently running the ball for at least 3 yards a play, and got down to the 3. Williams, being the workhorse of the drive, took it in from 3 yards out to score the touchdown. Now trailing by 1, and facing a hot Michigan offense, coach J. Hawk decided to risk it all and go for two. Marcus Williams would again come up huge, as he would carry in the game winning two-point conversion.

Coach J. Hawk said after the game that they were surprised by Hova's switch to the option offense. "We played them last year and won pretty handily. While we knew they would be better, and that we would face a much tougher game this go-around, we were completely surprised by the option offense. They definitely have the personnel to run it, and are a very dangerous team. It is regrettable that Denard got hurt. He has such great talent. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him."

Coach Hova after the game was upbeat, "Next year," was all he said.
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm

sounds like an intense game. better play better when we play hawk
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm

splff3000 wrote:
    urbanslegend05 wrote:At work now, so after 10 works for me. I'll holler on the way home.

WTF? When you gonna play your game in Workers so we can advance that shit?

I done told you last night that I'd play it late tonight and advance.
    NY_Eer
    NY_Eer

Post by NY_Eer Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:20 am

Penn State continues to log the passing yards in a 56-28 win over in-state rival Pitt.

Paul Jones threw for 374 yards and 4 TDs w/ only 1 INT. Again, both stud receivers had big games. Adam Utley continues to take some heat off of Sophomore phenom Ken Smith. Utley caught 6 balls for 138 yards and a TD while the ever consistent Smith caught 6 balls for 154 yards and 2 TDs, including a beautiful 67 yarder.

In yet another ground hog day performance, the running game suffered although came up big when it needed to. The defense's numbers don't look that good, but some big time fresh faces are starting to come around.

The 28-point margin of victory should help the recruits have a good time while in town. 5 highly rated recruits caught the game from the sidelines and smiles could be seen on their faces for most of the game. With a possible good recruiting weekend behind them, the Nittany Lions are hoping for a quick turn around to their recent recruiting woes.
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 am

Oh Canada, why do you hate me so? 31-28 joker. I'm kicking myself after this one. Trey Burton got hurt on the first drive of the second quarter and I think I coulda won it with him, but we'll never know. There were countless plays that I thought were gonna go my way but didn't. Twice I had him stopped for a safety and he turns two drives into 98 yarders while chewing up the gameclock. Late in the game I can't get into the endzone on fourth and one, but he was able to get it in on fourth and one and that's the difference in the game. I guess I shoulda kicked a field goal and we'd been in overtime, but that's bad coaching on my part I guess. Either way, good game Joker. You hear that guys? That's how you take a loss. Tell your opponent good game.
    Joker12
    Joker12

Post by Joker12 Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am

Upset city as Oklahoma takes down the defending champs 31-28. The Sooners played a flawless game and were aided by a quick 14-0 lead in the 1st Quarter thanks to a 13 play drive and a quick interception. Oklahoma made it 24-14 at halftime thanks to a 90 yard drive in the final 2 minutes that gave the Sooners 3 points. "Obviously, we wanted a TD, but I think we would have gotten one if the half wasn't winding down." Joker said. "Those 3 points were huge, that drive was huge, I just wanted to get in reasonable field position to punt back and we ended up getting points." Oklahoma would ice the game in the 4th with a 14 play drive that started with 6:57 remaining and ended with only 1:12 to go putting the Sooners ahead 31-21. Florida would get a touchdown with 10 seconds left to make it 31-28 but could not recover the onside kick.

The Sooners twice stopped the Gators with goal line stands - 1 an interception and the other a failed 4th down attempt. Quinton Young went 12-15 with 137 yards and a score, but the main thing was he did not turn the ball over. Brennan Clay was a monster, picking up 2 tds and 188 yards on 23 carries while also catching 6 passes. On defense, Adam Wayne, another true freshman, recorded 10 tackles, while Tom Wort came up huge on both goal line stands.

Oklahoma also got to face 5 star QB recruit Derrik Quinn, now known as Jeff Driskel, because they knocked out Trey Burton in the third quarter. Driskel went 8-9 with a TD, but most came when the game was basically over. They got a few licks on him as well. "I'm happy with the QB we have, I wouldn't take Quinn or Driskel or whatever his name is now anyways." The Sooners held Burton to just 25 yards on 8 carries before he was hurt, although he did complete 12 of 14 pass attempts. The 2 incompletions were both interceptions.

Good game Urban, both teams had very long drives. Only difference was I stopped you twice in the red zone and held you without points, though you did get TD's the other 4 times lol.
    Joker12
    Joker12

Post by Joker12 Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 am

Sooners are quickly becoming the cardiac kids with a loss by 3 points, a win by 2 points and another win by 3 points to start the season.
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:32 am

urbanslegend05 wrote:Oh Canada, why do you hate me so? 31-28 joker. I'm kicking myself after this one. Trey Burton got hurt on the first drive of the second quarter and I think I coulda won it with him, but we'll never know. There were countless plays that I thought were gonna go my way but didn't. Twice I had him stopped for a safety and he turns two drives into 98 yarders while chewing up the gameclock. Late in the game I can't get into the endzone on fourth and one, but he was able to get it in on fourth and one and that's the difference in the game. I guess I shoulda kicked a field goal and we'd been in overtime, but that's bad coaching on my part I guess. Either way, good game Joker. You hear that guys? That's how you take a loss. Tell your opponent good game.

Are you sure you weren't distracted or anything? Maybe you shouldn't have played cause you had to go out or something
    ehicks009

Post by ehicks009 Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:20 am

assuming we advance today i probably wont be able to play until thur after work spliff, i still have family in town and am not sure ill be able to make time tonight
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 am

ehicks009 wrote:assuming we advance today i probably wont be able to play until thur after work spliff, i still have family in town and am not sure ill be able to make time tonight

OK hicks. Hey guys me and hicks need to get this game in thurs night because I'm working night shift starting fri night, so it might be a long wait if we can't get it in on thurs night. Just a heads up.
    NY_Eer
    NY_Eer

Post by NY_Eer Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am

urbanslegend05 wrote:Either way, good game Joker. You hear that guys? That's how you take a loss. Tell your opponent good game.
    Touche...that's French.
    NY_Eer
    NY_Eer

Post by NY_Eer Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 am

EA definitely needs to work on the rankings for next year. Its horrible. They should give more points for a user victory among other things...that will probably do wonders. Notre Dame is 2-0 w/ a user win and I bet they don't jump that high. I lost to Florida and will probably be ranked higher this week. That happens in real life, but it doesn't seem right in the game. Plus Oklahoma beats the beat I lost to, and probably won't leapfrog me in the rankings.

None of it makes sense. I'm sure they can write code so that the rankings take into account user games just like they probably try to account for big games against ranked opponents.
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

NY_Eer wrote:EA definitely needs to work on the rankings for next year. Its horrible. They should give more points for a user victory among other things...that will probably do wonders. Notre Dame is 2-0 w/ a user win and I bet they don't jump that high. I lost to Florida and will probably be ranked higher this week. That happens in real life, but it doesn't seem right in the game. Plus Oklahoma beats the beat I lost to, and probably won't leapfrog me in the rankings.

None of it makes sense. I'm sure they can write code so that the rankings take into account user games just like they probably try to account for big games against ranked opponents.

The problem is not all users are good. Then EA has to try to figure out which users in an OD are good which ones aren't and that's impossible for them to do. I remember somebody at one point saying the cpu games are harder for them than the user games. That's believable because users can tend to get predictable at some points, especially on defense. I agree they need to rework their code or logic or whatever they use to do the rankings but having user games count more isn't the answer. All users aren't created equal. Very Happy
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 am

I believe it was joker that said the computer is sometimes harder. I would rather play users as well. It is an easier challenege and when you're as good as I am, no one stands in your way
    NY_Eer
    NY_Eer

Post by NY_Eer Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:36 pm

splff3000 wrote:

The problem is not all users are good. Then EA has to try to figure out which users in an OD are good which ones aren't and that's impossible for them to do. I remember somebody at one point saying the cpu games are harder for them than the user games. That's believable because users can tend to get predictable at some points, especially on defense. I agree they need to rework their code or logic or whatever they use to do the rankings but having user games count more isn't the answer. All users aren't created equal. Very Happy

You're right. In this OD, I'd say its rare that CPU games are tougher than users, but you do every once in awhile get that occasional game or two a season where the CPU has it in for you. At least this year, I've seen more CPU losses than in previous ones...mostly in other ODs.
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 pm

splff3000 wrote:
    ehicks009 wrote:assuming we advance today i probably wont be able to play until thur after work spliff, i still have family in town and am not sure ill be able to make time tonight

OK hicks. Hey guys me and hicks need to get this game in thurs night because I'm working night shift starting fri night, so it might be a long wait if we can't get it in on thurs night. Just a heads up.

Just kid and ho were left after we played last night. I'm sure they'll both play tonight.
    jhawk886
    jhawk886

Post by jhawk886 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

I think kid is playing now. Any idea on Ho Urbs?
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm

ho is online now, might be playing right now
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm

jhawk886 wrote:I think kid is playing now. Any idea on Ho Urbs?

No clue on ho.
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 pm

is that all we are waiting on again?
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm

dclark44 wrote:is that all we are waiting on again?

No clue on that either. I do know that I have to wait at work until the World Series is over, so I may not be playing two games tonight.
    jhawk886
    jhawk886

Post by jhawk886 Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Hmm, while Ho was on a little while ago, now he is off, and he didn't play either of his games. Maybe it was his girl or something. In here, we're just waiting on him and Kid, and kid has been on for a while so I imagine he's playing his game.
    ehicks009

Post by ehicks009 Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 pm

is ho playing? kid finished... btw hawk your avatar is incredibly inappropriate lol got me in trouble
    dclark44
    dclark44

Post by dclark44 Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:56 pm

waiting on ho
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

So hicks, is 9 good for you tomorrow? If not give me a time. I'm free all night.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:16 am