GRINDERS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
KidIcarus27
urbanslegend05
6 posters

How scouting works.....

urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

How scouting works..... Empty How scouting works.....

Post by urbanslegend05 Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 am

Ok, this is one of the biggest, and possibly the biggest addition to Rivals 2012. The scouting report is here in full force.
    Many of you may be thinking, what does that require of me. I am here to assure that it's not going to be as difficult as writing a yung-length recap.
    The scouting report is simple. You have two choice on how to do them.
    The first option is to leave it into you hands and you can write a paragraph or two about their playing style. I stress, however, that it can't be something to the effect of this...

"He ran a lot of shotgun and played nickel coverage the entire time"

That will not sufice as a recap. Here's more of an example of what I'm looking for if you choose to write your own recap.

"He usually ran the ball out of the i-formation and bigger sets, but occassionly would go for the deep ball. Out of the shotgun he rarely runs, but if he does its the option. His quarterback has some speed, but he doesn't scramble often, mainly hurting you on option plays.
    Defensively, he mostly utalizes man defense and likes to use his mlb. Third down, he usually brings the heat."

Of course these can be more in depth than that and they don't have to be QUITE that long, but in the ballpark. What I'm basically looking for is after a couple of season to be able to compare game in and out to see what tendancies that a coach has over the long term.

Option 2: This is the easier option for people that don't like to typse out a lot.
    You can copy and paste the Questions below and simply answer them. They do not have to be long answers. Some can simply be a few words such as he ran the option, spread and ace formations. Anyways, Here those questions are:

1. What style offense would you say they ran (option, run heavy, NFL style, spread, etc.)?

2. What kind of plays were they most successful running on offense?

3. Describe their mix of plays between run and pass (example. pass 60%, run 40%)?

4. Who were his best players and what made them stand out?

5. What style defense do they primarily run (multiple, 4-3, 3-35, nickel, etc.)?

6. If you won, describe the places you were able to attack. If you lost, describe what the other team did best.

7. Anything specific to watch for?

Anyways, that's about it and I think that this will add a lot to Rivals over the long run this year and could add another element of realism to the game. If anyone has any question that they feel might better the list, feel free to leave one and I will consider adding it.
    Finally, each team will have it's own page to keep them organized.
    KidIcarus27
    KidIcarus27

How scouting works..... Empty Re: How scouting works.....

Post by KidIcarus27 Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:44 am

If you have someone's style pegged, why would you make that info public knowledge?
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:09 am

I'm starting to not like this shit. Then again, I'm on a roll with not liking shit this morning. Lol. Anyway, this totally takes away the element of surprise. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid or something. Who knows. All I know is I'm gonna change my style up each game so my reports are fucked up. One report will be like he was in shotgun the whole game. Another will be he was in big sets all game. Another will say he was in wildcat all game. Then another will say he was I form all game. Mfers are gonna read the reports on me and be like wtf? Lol.
    KidIcarus27
    KidIcarus27

Post by KidIcarus27 Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:31 am

splff3000 wrote:I'm starting to not like this shit. Then again, I'm on a roll with not liking shit this morning. Lol. Anyway, this totally takes away the element of surprise. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid or something. Who knows. All I know is I'm gonna change my style up each game so my reports are fucked up. One report will be like he was in shotgun the whole game. Another will be he was in big sets all game. Another will say he was in wildcat all game. Then another will say he was I form all game. Mfers are gonna read the reports on me and be like wtf? Lol.
    . Yeah honestly, this idea makes zero sense to me at all...... This is a competition, why would you help your opponents.
    jhawk886
    jhawk886

Post by jhawk886 Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:01 am

In real life they would have film to watch. This is our game film.
    KidIcarus27
    KidIcarus27

Post by KidIcarus27 Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:05 am

jhawk886 wrote:In real life they would have film to watch. This is our game film.
    sure theyd have game film, but they wouldn't call a team and ask them for their detailed analysis.. it just seems funny, ni big deal.
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:15 pm

jhawk886 wrote:In real life they would have film to watch. This is our game film.

Thanks for pointing this out. I thought it was obvious. And yes, coaches talk to other coaches in real life all the time. Hvent you guys ever heard of exchanging game film?
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:41 pm

I understand the premise behind the idea and I actually like it. I just didn't know we were gonna have to be so detailed. I thought it was gonna be like "so and so ran the option a lot", not "on the 3rd play of the 2nd half so and so ran this specific play". Lol. I mean I honestly never count how many times someone comes out on a specific formation. I note the plays that were run from that formation, but i don't count the formations themselves. Also this is gonna mess up my strategic advantage in some situations. If you read what I write for you in the scouting report, you know things that I noted and can change them up the next time we play. In real life, opponent would have no idea that I caught on to there strategy. Well a good coach might but in this situation all the coaches will. I really like the idea. I just don't like how detailed we have to get. If nobody else has a problem with it, I'm cool with it but i'd like if we didn't have to be so detailed. I don't know. Maybe its just me.
    urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Nobody is saying you have to give away every secret. You can purposely leave certain things out. The point of this is to make people change their game up like teams do in real life. It's gonna make it that much harder to play the game and bring strategy into it that much more.
    splff3000
    splff3000

Post by splff3000 Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

urbanslegend05 wrote:Nobody is saying you have to give away every secret. You can purposely leave certain things out. The point of this is to make people change their game up like teams do in real life. It's gonna make it that much harder to play the game and bring strategy into it that much more.

I'm down. I don't know what's wrong with me today. Everything just feels wierd lol.
    getonmylevelho
    getonmylevelho
    Admin

Post by getonmylevelho Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:37 pm

splff3000 wrote:
    I'm down. I don't know what's wrong with me today. Everything just feels wierd lol.

All u needed was a little captain.

Drinking
    Muckem
    Muckem

Post by Muckem Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Seems a lil extreme Urb but I guess it's you're OD and we're just in it.

Is there a word number requirement for these scouting reports? Do you have a preference between APA or MLA formatting?

urbanslegend05
    urbanslegend05

Post by urbanslegend05 Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm not requiring them to be any certain length. I'm gonna take it easy on them. If you wanna do a game recap instead, that's cool. It will suffice. They don't have to be long, just gives us a chance to know what to expect going into a game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:45 pm